We love fish and chips in this house and I know giving up sugar should not have affected that. Fish and Chips is not bad for us occasionally, now I’m gluten free I would prefer not to be eating it. So here is my easy alternative to the Great British favourite tea time treat. It is a quick and simple meal which is full of essential minerals and vitamins that our body needs.
Cod alone contains lots of vitamins that can help to reduce the risk of heart attacks. It is a good source of omega 3, a fatty acid that helps to improve the function of the human heart. Also the omega 3 in fish can help improve mood and reduce changes in personality. The brain needs plenty of these types of fats to be able to function at its highest potential.
The next ingredient in this recipe is cheese which is another great source of fat. Cheddar cheese is a great source of essential nutrients including protein, vitamin D and potassium. The right amounts of these nutrients will also help lower the risk of heart attacks as well as other diseases such as osteoporosis, diabetes and high blood pressure.
Spring onions are loaded with essential nutrients and they have high levels of vitamin C and K. Both of these are essential for normal bones functioning. They also have anti-bacterial and anti viral properties and can be used to treat viral infections, flu and common colds. Spring onions have been found to stimulate the activity of the respiratory system.
Another ingredient in this dish which is high in essential vitamins and minerals is sweet potatoes. They are great for our health, inexpensive and easy to prepare and cook. Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of iron and magnesium which is good for our bodies too. The sugar from sweet potatoes in naturally slow releasing so it ensures our blood sugar levels stay balanced.
The last two ingredients I would like to mention are peas and mint. Peas are another great source of vitamin K. Just one cup contains 44% of your recommended daily allowance of vitamin K which helps to anchor calcium inside the bones. Peas can help blood sugars to regulate as well.
The final ingredient is mint. Herbs are often overlooked when we talk about healthy eating but they contain a wide variety of nutrients and offer a significant number of health benefits. Mint can help to clear up congestion of the nose, throat and lungs, it helps lose weight in a healthy way, can help prevent cancer, its a natural stimulant and can relieve fatigue and depression.
This fish and chips dish is a well balanced meal that will feed the whole family. It is simple and quick to prepare and it won’t cost a fortune to make it either.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Cheese grater
- Baking tray
- Mixing bowl and hand blender or food processor
- Fish slice
- Cod x 500g
- Cheddar cheese x 150g
- Egg x 1 medium
- Spring onions
- Brown rice flour x 4 tbsp
- Sweet Potato
- Peas x 400g
- Water x 60mls
- Fresh mint x 2 tablespoons chopped
- Coconut oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into chip shapes.
- Place them on the baking tray with a tablespoon of coconut oil and put it in the preheated oven.
- Place the cod, egg, spring onion and brown rice flour in the mixing bowl or food processor and mix together.
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Divide the fish into eight parts and with your hands roll a piece of the fish mix into a finger shape.
- Grate the cheese and then roll the fish in the grated cheese and repeat this process.
- Do this until all the pieces of fish are covered by the cheese.
- After 10 minutes take the baking tray out of the oven and shake the chips around.
- Move them into one corner of the baking tray and place the fish in the empty corner.
- Bake for a further 20 minutes or until the chips are golden brown.
- While the fish and chips are cooking, get your saucepan and fill with the water.
- Then add your frozen peas, wait until they are boiling and leave for five minutes.
- Once they are boiled, drain any excess water, add the mint and a tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Finally mash with the hand blender or food processor.
- When everything is done, plate up and serve.
We enjoy this fish and chip recipe on a Friday evening. It is also great served with my Tommy K or a homemade mayonnaise. Whenever you decide to make this recipe we hope you enjoy it as much as we do.