These spelt flour flatbreads are really yummy, well when I was eating gluten, they were delicious. As always they are really simple and easy to make and take no time at all. My husband and son just love eating them with soup or as a pizza so I enjoy making them. The bonus with this recipe is they only contain four ingredients too!
The first ingredient I want to write about is spelt flour. Spelt is packed with nutrients, vitamins, minerals and essential organic compounds that other cereals and other forms of wheat do not contain. This flour has very high levels of protein and dietary fibre and on top of that it also contains significant amounts of iron, copper, manganese, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, zinc, selenium, niacin, thaimin, vitamin B6 and folic acid. With all of this goodness it means that spelt has a number of health benefits which include digestive health, cholesterol, circulation, hormonal regulation and creation, bone health, growth and development and immune system health.
The next ingredient I want to mention is almond milk. Almond milk is naturally low in fat but high in energy, protein, lipids and fiber. It contains vitamins like calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc. The other nutrients available in this milk include vitamins such as vitamin C, B-6, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate and vitamin E. All these nutrients have various benefits which are essential for a healthy body. These benefits include lowers blood pressure, a strong and healthy heart, strong muscles, kidney health, healthy skin and an improved immune system.
- Mixing spoon
- Chopping board
- Rolling pin
- Large fry pan
- Spelt flour x 350g (preferably organic) plus extra for dusting
- Almond milk x 180mls (preferably organic)
- Baking powder x 1 tsp
- Dried mixed herbs x 1 tsp
- Coconut oil for the pan x 4tsp
- Start by measuring out the flour and almond milk.
- Place the spelt flour, baking powder and dried mixed herbs and stir with the mixing spoon.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the almond milk gradually while you fold the flour mix into the middle.
- After you have added all the milk form a ball with the dough.
- Knead the dough for about a minute and then cut it into four even pieces.
- Dust the chopping board with the extra flour and roll the four divided balls out into flatbread.
- Roll the dough balls out until they are really thin.
- Heat a fry pan and add a teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Then place the flatbread in the hot pan and fry for about 2 – 3 minutes or until nice and brown on each side.
- Add another teaspoon or coconut oil and fry the next flatbread. Do the same with the other two as well.
Once all the flatbreads have been cooked, serve with a warming bowl of soup or turn them into pizza. Yes they make great pizza bases too. Add whatever topping you like. We enjoy tomato, pesto, cheese and olives on our pizzas. For an extra bit of protein I add cheese to my son’s flatbread and he loves it. If you give it a go as always, enjoy!