Last week we were on holiday in France and when I arrive in a country the first thing I like to do is buy fruit. It’s great to snack on but it’s also really good for you when travelling. I had bought a little bit too much fruit and decided, after our tea of French cheese and wine (yum!), that I would cook the extra fruit in a bit of coconut oil and local honey.
Local honey is a remarkable natural substance that is receiving a lot of well-deserved attention. You can search for it at local supermarkets to get the freshest products. If you can, please support your local independent farmers. It’s helping them to stay in business and is good for the local economy. For this recipe I used a local honey that we bought in France. We stayed in the Normandy region so we brought the honey from that part.
The fruits I used in this recipe are in season at the moment so they were delicious and juicy. I choose a fresh pineapple, nectarine and strawberries to heat in the frying pan. These are great fruits and they are loaded with nutrients, vitamins and minerals. All these fruits can have a serious positive effect on health and they can have medical benefits too. They can help with weight loss, arthritis, prevent cancer and inflammation, improve the immune system and lots more.
So this dish is an incredibly healthy dessert. (I never thought I would write a sentence like that). Different seasonal fruits can be added and any leftovers which I did find can be made into ice lollies. Yeah, that’s right I had leftovers but with a little help from some yogurt or coconut cream you can make lollies. Here’s how!
Serves 4 plus leftovers
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Frying pan
- Food processor or stick blender and jug
- Ice lolly moulds
- Pineapple x 1 large
- Nectarines x 2
- Strawberries x 200g
- Coconut oil x 1 tbsp
- Honey x 2 tsp (local if possible) plus extra for yogurt
- Cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Yogurt x 250g plus extra honey or Coconut milk x 1 tin and maple syrup x 2 tbsp
- Start by removing the skin and core from the pineapple and cutting into pieces.
- Next remove the cores from the nectarines and hull the strawberries.
- Put the frying pan on the hob and heat coconut oil to a medium temperature.
- Add the chopped fruit and honey and sprinkle over the cinnamon.
- Stir the fruit until the pineapple becomes slightly golden brown.
- It should take around five to ten minutes depending on your equipment.
- The strawberries may start to disintegrate but don’t worry as they make a delicious sauce.
- Then add the fruit to the plates and serve with yogurt and honey or mix the coconut milk and maple syrup together and add to the dessert.
- Any leftovers you can add to the food processor or the stick blender and jug and blend together.
- (You may need extra yogurt or coconut milk to make the lollies.)
- Pour the mixture into the ice lolly moulds and freeze for up to six hours or overnight.
Hot Fruit Salad is a quick, simple and easy recipe to make. It can be prepared in advance of a dinner party and the fruit can stay in the frigde until it’s ready to be heated. Plus the bonus is that any leftovers can be frozen into ice lollies. Or you could just make it all into ice lollies and freeze the lot. However you decide to make this fruit salad, as always, please enjoy!