These pizza pancakes are gluten free and delicious. They are quick to make and they are a great lunchtime meal or a delicious dinner that can be served with a lovely salad. Chickpea flour or besan flour is a naturally gluten free product. We buy ours from Amazon.co.uk, it’s very inexpensive and we buy it in bulk so it lasts us a little while too.
As well as being a fairly cheap product, besan flour is packed with vitamins, minerals and plenty of nutrients. It’s also a brilliant source of fibre, that can help improve heart health and can stabilize the blood sugar levels. Unlike refined flour, chickpea flour is a slow-burning carbohydrate that doesn’t impact glucose levels. Eating more glycemic foods helps to stabilize blood sugar levels and prevent sugar cravings. In turn this helps the heart to stay healthy.
Beyond the numerous health benefits is a remarkably versatile flour which has a subtle flavour. Which means it’s great for cooking savoury or sweet dishes. In Indian cooking they use this flour in most dishes such as, dumplings, noodles and fritters, and it is used for thickening curries. According to Indian cooks it’s the most used flour in the country.
Besan flour makes a great base for these pizza pancakes. It’s light and gives the pizza a great texture. These pizzas are also very versatile as you could make them into a vegetarian or meat eaters meal. Plus they are great in the hot weather because you don’t have to spend too long slaving over a hot stove.
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring jug
- Chopping board
- Frying pan
- Fish slice
- Baking tray x 2
- Chickpea flour x 200g
- Brown rice milk or almond milk x 200mls
- Eggs x 2 large
- Olive oil x 4 tsp
- Tommy K or tomato puree (see alexisrealfoodwagon.com for more details)
- Strong cheese x 120g
- Parma ham or chicken x 120g
- Green olives x 28
- Oregano x 1 tsp
- Salt x 1/4 tsp
- Start by weighing and measuring your ingredients.
- Put the eggs, milk, flour and salt into a mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Set aside
- Next grate the cheese and cut the parma or chicken up.
- Place the frying pan on a high heat and add a teaspoon of the oil.
- Spread the oil evenly using the plastic brush.
- Then pour in about a quarter of the mixture.
- Wait for the pancake to dry out especaally around the outside and then flip it over.
- It should be a nice golden brown colour on one side.
- Once cooked remove from the pan and place on the baking tray.
- Repeat this three more times.
- When all the pancakes have cooked start to build your pizzas.
- First spread the tommy k or tomato puree with a spoon.
- Add the grated cheese, olives and a small sprinkle of oregano to each pizza.
- Finally place under a hot grill until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Enjoy with a lovely salad.
As I have already mentioned these pizzas are a great lunch or dinner time meal. If you want to speed up the process I normally make the batter the day before and prepare the other ingredients. Then all I have to do is cook the pancakes and place the other ingredients on top. You could even cook the pancakes the night before, leave them to cool and then store them in the frigde. Even quicker. It makes my life so much more simple if I plan for meals. The recipe is also easily adaptable to a vegetarian meal because all you have to do is leave off the meat. Whatever way you try this recipe then please, as always, enjoy!