Please click here to see a vlog on how to make this delicious Carrot Cake with a Lime and Coconut Icing.
Carrot Cake with a Coconut and Lime Icing is a delicious cake that is really easy and simple. I made this cake a few weeks ago for my birthday party and everyone enjoyed it. Although, I made it with maple syrup and it crumbled when I cut it. I made it again and this time I made it with honey and a lot more of it. It glued together much better the next time around. Sorry to any vegans reading this blog or watching the vlog, if you want to try it with maple syrup then please be my guest.
Carrots in themselves have the ability to increase the health of your skin, boost your immune system, improve your digestion, increase cardiovascular health, detoxify the body and boost oral health in a variety of ways. They also have a great amount of vitamins and minerals. The health benefits of carrots include reduced cholesterol, prevention from heart attacks, reduced risk of certain cancers, improved vision and reducing the signs of premature aging.
Carrots are one of the most widely used and enjoyed vegetables in the world, partly because they grow relatively easily and are very versatile in a number of dishes. When I was eating gluten, I used to love a slice of carrot cake so I decided to try and make it in a gluten free version.
- Vegetable peeler
- Fine grater
- Mixing bowl
- Loaf Tin or Cake Tin
- Baking paper
- Cooling rack
- Carrots x 3
- Brown rice flour x 150g
- Ground almonds x 150g
- Gluten free oats x 150g
- Raisins or chopped dates x 150g
- Baking powder x 3 tsp
- Cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Coconut oil x 2 tbsp
- Chia seeds x 1 tablespoon
- Water x 2 tablespoon
- Almond milk x 150ml
- Honey x 150g
- Salt x 1 pinch
Ingredients for the icing
- Creamed Coconut x 100g
- Maple syrup x 2 tbsp
- Squeeze of half a lime
- Preheat the oven to 160⁰C and a loaf or cake tin with baking paper.
- Next weigh and measure all your ingredients.
- Pour the water over the chia seeds and put to one side.
- Meanwhile mix together the brown rice flour, ground almonds and oats.
- Add in the baking powder, cinnamon and then the raisins.
- Then add the almond milk, honey and coconut oil.
- Finally add the chia seeds and salt.
- Mix all of these ingredients together until they are well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the pre lined loaf or cake tin.
- Place in the oven for 40 – 45 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Once cooked you should be able to put in a skewer and pull it out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the rack.
Method for icing
- Put a saucepan on a medium heat and add the coconut oil, maple syrup and lime.
- Stir until the ingredients melt down and combine together.
- Once the cake has cooled spread the icing on top of the cake and leave to set.
As I mentioned earlier I have made this cake for two occasions and it has been well received on both. I love it because I’m using a savoury ingredient that is very healthy and turning it into a sweet food. If you are vegan and would like to try this maple syrup then please feel free to let me know how it goes. It is a really yummy cake that is so nice with a cup of tea. However you decide to eat it, as always, please enjoy.