It’s nearly New Years Eve and this is a healthy but delicious little dip to serve at your party. The recipe is so simple and easy. It will take you no time at all to prepare, leaving you more time to mingle with you guests. Also, it’s great to have as a healthy snack when the new year arrives and we start that detox.
Roasted Red Pepper and Chilli Hummus has a lot of great ingredients in it but the main ingredient is chickpeas. These beans can add flavour and texture to a number of dishes. They can be sprinkled over a salad or pureed in a soup or like this dish in hummus. Chickpeas are a high fibre food that is one of the many reasons to add it to the menu. They are not low in calories but they are rich in a number of great nutrients, including B vitamin folate. Folate is crucial before and during pregnancy as it helps with rapid growth cells and during the development of a fetus.
Chickpeas are also a brilliant source of iron. Iron helps make red blood cells and certain hormones. It is important for cell function and normal growth. Finally, chickpeas are an excellent source of protein. However, the protein in chickpeas does not contain the essential amino acids like animal products. These are easily found by eating other sources of protein like eggs, dairy, meat, grains and veggies. So try eating this hummus with a few veggies like carrots or celery and you will be in nutrient heaven. A delicious dip which is well worth trying on a few new years eve guests.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping Board
- Baking tray
- Food processor
- Chickpeas x 1 400g tin
- Olive Oil x 100ml (plus extra for red pepper)
- Tahnini x 2tbsps
- Lemon x 1 juice and zest
- Red pepper x 2
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Chilli powder x 1 -2 tsp (mild or medium or hot)
- Preheat the oven to 180° and put the baking tray in
- With the sharp knife cut the pepper into large pieces removing the core and seeds.
- Put in the preheated baking tray and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place back into the oven for about 30 minutes.
- Remove once cooked and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, drain the chickpeas in the colander and add them to the food processor, along with the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, roasted red pepper, tahnini, garlic and chilli powder of choice.
- Blend the ingredients together until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl, serve with cut veggies like carrots, and enjoy.
Roasted Red Pepper and Chilli Hummus is a delicious dip that you can serve at a party or as a delicious snack. It can also be part of a main meal and it would probably be great in a sandwich. It’s such a simple recipe that it would be rude not to. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy.