At Christmas 2015, I ordered a huge turkey for five well four and a half people. My husband loves turkey at Christmas so I thought why not. I asked the butcher to cut the legs off so we were left with the crown. Then they minced the meat from the legs. I put the mince into the freezer and I think we had turkey sandwiches for the rest of December.
So this time last year I was left wondering what to do with the minced turkey meat I had in the freezer. Then it hit me when I was looking through the pantry and I found a pack of dried cranberries. I decide to try turkey and cranberry burgers. We eat turkey and cranberry sauce at Christmas so this would be a great meal. Every time I make this for my little family I am left with clean plates. So this meal is a great success and a very healthy meal too.
Although it has dried cranberries in which are very sweet they are still OK in small quantities. Dried cranberries are a great on the go snack. Although cranberries are a fruit, when they are dried they become more sugary and they also only contain a small amount of vitamins and minerals. With this in mind, dried cranberries still contain antioxidants and these can help to reduce inflammation, they can help to cut the risk of heart disease and cancer as well.
So if only eaten occasionally, dried cranberries can be good for you. Plus they make these burgers taste delicious. The recipe is simple, easy and quick to follow. My family certainly love these at any time of the year. For us, a turkey isn’t just for Christmas.
- Large bowl
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Baking tray
- Turkey mince x 500g
- Onion x 1 medium
- Courgette x 1 medium
- Cranberries x 50g
- Herbs du provence
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and put the baking tray in as well.
- Start by peeling and chopping the onion.
- Add to the large bowl along with the turkey mince.
- Cut the top from the courgette and grate it.
- Again add to the large bowl.
- Measure the cranberries on the scales and add these to the large bowl.
- Finally add the herbs du provence and then the salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix all the ingredients together using your hands.
- Shape the mixture into four even burger shapes.
- Remove the baking tray and put the burgers onto the tray.
- Put them in the oven for about 25 – 30 minutes.
- Once cooked remove from the oven and cut in half to make sure they are cooked.
- Finally serve with my Sweet Potato Chips and salad.
These burgers are so easy to make and if you have limited time during the week you could make the burgers at the weekend then freeze the mixture. Then all you have to do is defrost and cook when you want to eat them. Although they honestly take no time to make before cooking. It’s a great meal for kids because my son who is a very fussy eater will eat the lot. Plus they have courgettes in them. Shh, they will never know. However you decide to eat them, as always, enjoy.