In the past two years since quitting sugar and processed foods I have developed an intolerance to gluten. So when my husband and son are having their cheese and pickle toasties on sourdough bread for a Saturday lunchtime I have to look for other things to eat. I have seen recipes on the internet for alternatives to bread but I saw this dish and thought I would have a go at making it. I was not disappointed.
Courgettes are packed full of nutrients that can help the body in so many ways. They can help to promote eye health and prevent easy bruising. Plus they can help to cure asthma and they have a high content of vitamin C, carbohydrates, protein and fibre. Courgettes contain significant quantities of potassium, folate and vitamin A, all of which are important for good health.
A courgette is actually a fruit that is usually cooked as a vegetable because it is best eaten when in cooked dishes. Young courgettes have a subtle flavour, soft covering and buttery white flesh. They are at their best during May to June. They can be put into sweet dishes as well as savoury but they taste brilliant in this recipe. Well worth a try.
Makes 1 loaf
- Fine grater
- Food processor
- Mixing bowl
- Loaf tin
- Baking paper
- Cooling rack
- Mixing spoon
- Courgette x 1
- Brown rice flour x 150g
- Pecans x 150g
- Gluten free oats x 150g
- Ground cumin x 1 tsp
- Ground corriander x 1 tsp
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Baking powder x 2 tsp
- Xanthan gum x 1 tsp
- Ground oregano x 1 tsp
- Eggs x 2 large
- Oat milk or brown rice milk x 50ml
- Date syrup x 150g
- Salt x 1/4 tsp
- Preheat the oven to 160⁰C and a loaf or cake tin with baking paper.
- Next weigh and measure all your ingredients.
- Meanwhile mix together the brown rice flour, pecans and oats in the food processor.
- Add in the baking powder, xanthan gum, spice and oregano.
- Put these ingredients in the mixing bowl.
- Then in a separate bowl mix the egg and the date syrup.
- Add the milk if it is not sticking together bit by bit until it looks like a cake mix.
- Finally add the salt.
- Pour the mixture into the pre-lined loaf tin.
- Place in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown on top depending on your oven.
- Once cooked you should be able to put in a skewer and pull it out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the rack.
Courgette bread for me is a great alternative to shop-bought bread and it is so much healthier. I have made this recipe on several occasions and I have tried different recipes with it. So my homemade hummus is a great way to eat this bread and we have had it as a meal with my posh eggs dish on top. My husband and son love it too so it’s a great dish the whole family can enjoy. However, if there are only two of you or you are a single this bread can be frozen as well.