As I’m sure you are all aware by now, we love pancakes in this house. Pancakes are a quick, simple and easy breakfast the whole family can enjoy. Especially if you make the batter mix the night before. My sweet potato pancakes were one of the first recipes on this blog and they have been well received since. So I thought I would make a vegan version.
Sweet potatoes are delicious and not only good in savoury dishes. Since giving up sugar and processed food I have discovered that sweet potatoes are great in sweet recipes too. These sweet potato pancakes are no exception. Plus they are packed full of nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
Sweet potatoes have got over 400% of your daily needs for vitamin A in one medium spud, as well as lots of potassium and fibre. They have got more grams of natural sugars than regular potato but more overall nutrients with fewer calories. Increasing consumption of plant foods like sweet potatoes can decrease the risk of heart disease, obesity and can increase energy and help with weight loss.
So these pancakes are great for a breakfast because they are filling and healthy. My little family really enjoyed this dish and plates were, as always, cleaned. We will be eating this one a lot more so well worth a try.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Small saucepan
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring bowl
Ingredients for making the Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Sweet potato x 200g
- Gluten free oats x 300g
- Brown rice or oat milk x 300mls
- Chia seeds x 1 tbsp
- Baking powder x 1 tsp
- Xanthan gum x 1 tsp
- Ground cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Vanilla powder x 1/4 tsp
Method for making the Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Start by peeling the potatoes and cutting them into about 3 cm chunks.
- Boil the kettle and put water into the small saucepan.
- Put the saucepan on a medium heat and then put the sweet potatoes into the colander.
- Put the colander on top of the small saucepan.
- Leave to steam for about 15 – 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft enough to mash.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Measure the gluten free oats.
- Ground the oats in the nutribullet or food processor if you want to, it’s optional.
- Pour the (un)ground oats into the mixing bowl and add in the baking powder, xanthan gum, chia seeds cinnamon and vanilla powder.
- Mix all these ingredients together.
- Add in the milk and then mash the potatoes and add to the batter.
- Again mix all the ingredients together with the whisk.
- The mixture will be very thick so if you would like to add milk then please do so.
- If you are making this the night before then store in the fridge.
- When the mixture is needed heat the frying pan and add a tsp of coconut.
- Spread evenly around the base with a plastic brush.
- Wait until the pan is hot and then add an ice cream scoop or two of the mixture.
- Try to spread the mixture as much as you can with the scoop.
- Leave to cook and once it starts to cook around the outside it should be ok to turn over.
- When cooked on both sides remove from the pan.
- Now cook the rest of pancake mix until the batter is finished.
- Add more coconut oil if necessary.
Ingredients for the Strawberry Cream Cheese
- Strawberry x 2 handfuls plus a few spare for the topping.
- Cashew nuts x 100 grams
- Coconut milk x enough to cover the nuts
- Maple syrup x 1 tbsp
- Lemon x 1/2
Method for Vegan Strawberry Cream Cheese
- Put the cashew nuts into the bowl.
- Pour over enough milk to cover the nuts.
- Place in the fridge for four hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile hull the strawberries by using inserting the small knife near the leaves of the strawberry.
- Move it in a circular motion and once all the way round the top, twist and remove.
- You should pull out a long thin part of the strawberry which is the bitter part.
- Once the nuts have soaked and are soft, add these to the nutribullet or food processor along with the strawberries, tahini and maple syrup.
- Squeeze half a lemon in and then blend all the ingredients together.
- Once the ingredients are smooth, remove and add these to the pancakes.
Ingredients for building the pancake
- Vegan Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Vegan Strawberry Cream Cheese
- Avocado x 1
- Strawberries x 1 handful
- Maple syrup
Method for building the pancakes
- Put a pancake on a plate.
- Spread the strawberry cream cheese over the top using the knife.
- Cut open the avocado and remove the stone.
- Cut the avocado horizontally and then vertically until you have 1 cm squares inside the skin of the avocado.
- Scoop out the flesh and put about an eighth on top of the pancake.
- Hull the strawberries and chop into quarters.
- Then add a tsp or two of maple syrup.
- Repeat the process for the rest of the pancakes.
- Finally serve and enjoy.
These pancakes are a fantastic Saturday morning treat. The pancake mix will probably make about 8 pancakes and they are thick as the batter mix is heavy with the porridge oats. If you have any leftovers then the batter mix or pancakes can be frozen and so can the cream cheese. Preparing the ingredients the night before also saves my family a lot of time in the morning. It makes it even quicker and simpler to get breakfast on the table. The service is speedy in this house. Ha, ha! However you decide to enjoy this meal, as always, enjoy.