So I thought about the Vegan Cashew Nut Cream Cheese recipe and I wondered what it would taste like if I were to replace the nutritional yeast and chives with fruit. I think there were strawberries lying next to the freshly made cashew nut cream cheese in the fridge when I had this thought. Then I decided to put the two together in a cheesecake and oh boy, we were not disappointed.
As well as a delicious sweet topping there is a chewy yet slightly crunchy base. For the base I have used pecans as I love using these in puddings and desserts. I find the pecans give it the crunchy texture. The biscuit base of a cheesecake, when I could eat cheesecake, was always the best bit for me.
Pecans contain more than 19 vitamins and minerals including vitamin A, B and E plus folic acid, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and zinc. Plus just an ounce of pecans can provide 10 percent of the daily recommended allowance of fibre. Pecans are very high in the healthy unsaturated fat and one handful a day can lower the bad cholesterol. Also this beautiful nut is rich in age defying antioxidants. These great nuts have wonderful health benefits which include helping with cardiovascular health, digestive health, weight loss and they can reduce the symptoms of certain types of cancer.
Vegan Raw Strawberry and Chocolate Cheesecake is a super healthy dessert but it’s also so simple and easy to do. It requires no cooking as well. So it’s literally a food processor and fridge job. When I served it to my family including my mum they were amazed at the ingredients I had used. They all loved it though and my mum went home with three slices in her bag. Well worth a try.
Serves 8 – 10
- Sharp small knife
- Small knife
- Chopping Board
- Food processor
- Juice or fork
- Small pan
- Stirring spoon
- Spring loaded cake tin
Ingredients for the base
- Pecans x 150g
- Dates x 150g
- Raw cacao powder x 50g
- Coconut oil x 50g
Method for base
- Start by removing the stones from the dates and set aside.
- Put the small pan on the hob on a low to medium heat and add in the coconut oil.
- Stir until melted but not cooking
- Place the dates, pecans, and raw cacao powder into the food processor.
- Pour over the coconut oil as evenly as possible.
- Blend all of the ingredients together.
- They should resemble bread crumbs.
- Finally, spread the base on the bottom of the cake tin as evenly as possible.
- Pat it down to compact it into the base.
- Put it in the fridge for at least two hours.
Ingredient for the Strawberry Cream Cheese
- Strawberries x 2 handfuls plus a few extra to decorate
- Cashew Nuts x 250g
- Coconut milk x enough to cover the nuts
- Tahini x 2 tbsp
- Lemon x 1
- Maple Syrup x 2 tbsp
- Coconut oil x 100g
- Start by soaking the cashew nuts in enough milk to cover them.
- Store them in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile, hull the strawberries.
- Insert the small knife into the top of the strawberry near the green leafs.
- Using the knife cut around the outside and back to the start.
- Put the knife down.
- Twist the top of the strawberry and you should remove the green leaves a the stem inside.
- Quarter the strawberries and put them into the food processor.
- Add in the soaked cashew nuts, tahini, maple syrup and coconut oil.
- Cut the lemon in half and juice with the juice or folk.
- Blend all the ingredients together until a smooth paste is formed.
Method for putting the topping and base together
- Remove the already made base from the fridge.
- Then spread the strawberry cashew nut cream cheese over the base as evenly as possible.
- Hull the extra strawberries and cut into slices.
- Put the slices of strawberry evenly around the outside.
- Finally put the cheesecake back into the fridge and leave for six hours at least or overnight preferably.
- Serve and enjoy.
Vegan Raw Strawberry and Chocolate Cheesecake is a great after dinner treat. It’s a dessert that can be made in advance of a meal. You can freeze all of the ingredients in it as well. So it could be made the weekend before and then defrosted the day before eating. If strawberries have gone out of season then other fruit can also be used for the topping. Frozen berries could be used instead if it’s winter time but you won’t be able to refreeze the dessert again. However you decide to eat this dessert, as always, enjoy.