One of my favourite combinations of food is tomato and basil. Juicy tomato and the flavour of the basil compliment each other well. We all love a spaghetti bolognese (or spag bowl as we like to call it) with these ingredients. So it led me to think of other ways I could use tomatoes and basil together. These two ingredients are delicious served hot or cold and they make a tasty dinner or snack.
Tomatoes are a great food for the body whether they are served hot or cold too. However, cooking them can release even more health benefits and tomatoes don’t lose any of their nutritional value in the process of cooking. Plus canned tomotes and tomato sauce or my tommy K recipe can be as beneficial to the body as fresh tomotes. To me, this is the only fruit that is better for you when it’s cooked.
These Tomato and Basil Beef Burgers are no exception. The tomato and basil really help to flavour the burger and make these juicy burgers extra special. They are a quick, simple and easy recipe to follow. When I serve these to my little family they are well received. My son loves a burger and his plate is normally always clean after this meal. Well worth a try.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Large mixing bowl
- Mince beef x 500g
- Onions x 1 large
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Courgette x 1 small
- Tomato puree x 4 tbsp
- Basil x 1 handful
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°.
- Start by chopping the onion and the garlic.
- Grate the courgette into the large mixing bowl.
- Next rip the basil with your hands.
- Now add all of the ingredients to the mixing bowl and mix together.
- Use your hands to mix the beef and other ingredients.
- When they are all mixed together seperate them into four even parts.
- Shape the parts into burgers and put them in the baking tray.
- Put into the oven for around 25 – 30 mins.
- Once cooked remove and serve with chips and salad.
Tomato and Basil Beef Burgers are great served with my sweet potato chips, and my chips recipe is also good with these burgers. There is also a salad dressing recipe on my blog too. The burgers can be made and frozen. So if time is of the essence during the week then this is a great way to save time. Then it can become a very quick meal during the week. However you enjoy this dish, as always, enjoy.