Gluten Free – Dairy Free – Egg Free – Vegan
Smoothies are a great breakfast. They are quick, simple and easy to do. They take minutes to make and taste yummy delicious. I love them and I really like the fact that this particular smoothie is a ghoulish green. It really reminds me of Halloween and the delicious warming food we begin to eat at this time of year.
A huge plus is that smoothies contain a lot of fibre and nutrients which can give you an extra boost of vitamins and minerals. They also include the fruit skin and pith which is an added bonus. Blending smoothies can however introduce oxygen and heat which in turn can knock out a little vitamin C and a few B vitamins too.
Overall though, smoothies are a great way to get plenty of nutrition into the body in the morning. Smoothies can make a great afternoon snack or mid morning pick me up too. The pumpkin and spices in this drink are inviting and create a warming sense to the body on a cold winter morning.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping Board
- Nutribullet or Food processor (We bought both of these products on Amazon.)
- Avocado x 1/2
- Banana x 1
- Dried plums/prunes x 3 – 4
- Pecans x 6 – 8
- Chia seeds x 1 tsps
- Hemp seeds x 1 tsps
- Pumpkin seeds x 2 tsps
- Pumpkin puree x 200mls (please see ‘The Bad Boy Pumpkins are back’ for recipe!)
- Oat milk x 200mls
- Spinach x 1 large handful
- Cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Ground ginger x 1 tsp
- Nutmeg x 1/4 tsp
- Cloves x 1/4 tsp
- Local honey or maple syrup x 1 tsp (optional)
- Start by cutting your avocado in half and leaving the stone in one half.
- Put that in a tupperware box and store in the fridge until you want to use it.
- Using the spoon, scoop out the avocado half with no stone and add to the Nutribullet or food processor.
- Peel the banana and break up with your hands into big chunks then add it in too.
- Next add in the pecans, seeds, pumkin puree, oat milk, spinach, spices and/or local honey or maple syrup.
- Blend all the ingredients together.
- Pour into a glass or drink from the Nutribullet cup and enjoy.
For me, smoothies are a great way to enjoy lots more fruits and vegetables. They are a really quick breakfast that can be eaten on the go. Smoothies are also a great way to get more fruits and vegetables into children too. My son loves smoothies, he didn’t drink any of this one but he does enjoys them especially the fruit ones. A smoothie can be made the night before or at the weekend and then frozen. It can then be defrosted and eaten the next day. Smoothies are definitely a favourite of mine. However you decide to drink this delicious smoothie, as always, enjoy.
What fruits and vegetables do you enjoy in your smoothies? Let me know in the comments below as I’d love to hear about them.