When the weather is starting to turn colder, there is frost on the ground in the mornings, there is nothing I like better than to start to think about warming, comfort foods. I love foods that are soothing in the cold weather and hot chocolate is a food that helps to ease my soul on a winter’s day.
Now my husband Hozza and his yummy hot chocolate is delicious but I wanted to give this drink a bit of a kick. So I decided to add spices to this already luscious beverage. By adding spices, I not only gave this drink a twist, but I added extra health benefits too. Adding spices to food can help the body’s immune system, give it extra energy during the colder months and can also help with low moods.
Plus spices are packed with vitamins, minerals and nutrients. Everything the body will be craving with these freezing temperatures on their way. My winters are all about comfort and keeping myself well during the colder seasons. When I eat well and look after myself when I do fall ill I know I will recover quickly. This hot chocolate is a sweet treat but it has amazing health benefits too. Well worth a try.
- Mug x 1
- Small saucepan x 1
- Tablespoon x 1
- Stirring spoon x 1
- Full fat milk x 1 mug (or a milk or your choice)
- Raw cacao powder x 2 tbsp or 100% dark chocolate
- Maple syrup x 1 tbsp (or more depending on how sweet you like it)
- Cinnamon x 1tsp
- Ginger x 1tsp
- Cloves x 1/4tsp
- Nutmeg x 1/4tsp
- Vanilla powder x 1/8tsp
- Measure the milk and put it into the sauce pan.
- Next add the raw cacao powder or 100% dark chocolate and maple syrup to the pan.
- Finally add in the spices.
- Put the pan on a medium heat and stir until the powder or chocolate dissolves and it has warmed through.
- Be careful not to let the milk boil over.
- It should take around five minutes or so.
- Once it’s hot or at a temperature you like, pour the hot chocolate back into the mug.
- Then enjoy.
Hozza’s Hot Chocolate with a Warming Twist is such a great drink to have when it’s a frosty and chilli day. It’s a drink that warms us up from the inside out and leaves us feeling the glow. This drink could also be made in large quantities in a slow cooker for a party or can simply be enjoyed on your own. It is also delicious with a ginger nut or two. However you decide to enjoy this lovely drink, as always, enjoy.