Gluten Free – Dairy Free – Egg Free – Vegan
Now I realise that blackberries are normally a summer fruit but I have been storing the leftovers of our summer pickings in the freezer. I had been waiting to make another apple and blackberry crumble with them. However, I had been craving the strawberry cheesecake I made in the summer and I decided to try to make it with blackberries.
Blackberries grow on thorny bushes called brambles and they are native to Europe. They are now also grown in the US and they are available all year round. In Europe they thrive during spring and early summer. The blackberry is technically not a fruit. It’s actually a miniature grape bunch. Believe it or not.
The blackberry has a sweet but tart flavour. It makes them perfect for a fruit salad, smoothie or this cheesecake. Plus this cheesecake makes a brilliant alternative to normal Christmas desserts. It’s also really quick and simple to do and requires no cooking. Well worth a try.
Serves 8 – 10
- Sharp small knife
- Small knife
- Chopping Board
- Food processor/nutribullet
- Juice or fork
- Small pan
- Stirring spoon
- Spring loaded cake tin
Ingredients for the base
- Pecans x 150g
- Dates x 150g
- Raw cacao powder x 50g
- Coconut oil x 50g
Method for base
- Start by removing the stones from the dates and set aside.
- Put the small pan on the hob on a low to medium heat and add in the coconut oil.
- Stir until melted but not cooking
- Place the dates, pecans, and raw cacao powder into the food processor.
- Pour over the coconut oil as evenly as possible.
- Blend all of the ingredients together.
- They should resemble bread crumbs.
- Finally, spread the base on the bottom of the cake tin as evenly as possible.
- Pat it down to compact it into the base.
- Put it in the fridge for at least two hours.
Ingredient for the Strawberry Cream Cheese
- Blackberries x 2 handfuls
- Cashew Nuts x 250g
- Coconut milk x enough to cover the nuts
- Tahini x 2 tbsp
- Lemon x 1
- Maple Syrup x 2 tbsp
- Coconut oil x 100g
- Start by soaking the cashew nuts in enough milk to cover them.
- Store them in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Use the food processor or nutribullet and add in the soaked cashew nuts, frozen blackberries, tahini, maple syrup and coconut oil.
- Cut the lemon in half and juice with the juice or fork.
- Blend all the ingredients together until a smooth paste is formed.
Method for putting the topping and base together
- Remove the already made base from the fridge.
- Then spread the blackberry cashew nut cream cheese over the base as evenly as possible.
- Finally put the cheesecake back into the fridge and leave for six hours at least or overnight preferably.
- Serve and enjoy.
Blackberry and Chocolate Cheesecake is a delicious dessert that the whole family can enjoy. We served this at a Christmas party we hosted recently and all the guests enjoyed it. It was such a simple dessert to make that I had more time to spend with my guests. All the leftovers, not that there were many, I froze and ate later. So it means you could make this in advance of a party and defrost before your guests arrive. However you decide to eat this dish, enjoy.