When I was a child my mum was never really interested in cooking. It was definitely my dad’s domain when I was growing up. I remember mum would prefer to be in the garden planting herbs in the rockery or planning activities for her scout group. Although mum can cook she doesn’t really get any pleasure from it. I think she views it, like my Nan did, as a necessity and not a pleasure.
My Dad on the other hand did loved cooking and when they first met, Dad cooked my mum a steak meal. Although, he cooked one piece of sirloin steak and one piece of beef stewing steak. Dad gave my mum the piece of stewing steak and she told him it was delicious. From that moment on he knew he was onto a winner.
Mum then offered to cook for my Dad a few more times and one day she made a prawn cocktail. Dad really enjoyed eating it and once they were married he started to make this dish as supper on a Friday evening. I told him how much I loved his prawn cocktail and he told me it was actually my mum’s recipe. I was shocked that my mum could make such a great dish but I still savoured every mouthful.
- Large mixing bowl
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Stirring spoon
- Serving plates or bowls x 4
- Prawns x 500g
- Avocado x 2 large
- Homemade mayonnaise x 8 – 10 tbsp
- Tommy K or tomato puree x 4 – 5 tbsp
- Tamari x 2 – 4 tbsp
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Little gem lettuce x 2
- In the large mixing bowl add the mayonnaise, Tommy K or tomato puree, tamari and smoked paprika.
- Stir all these ingredients together with the spoon.
- Add in the prawns and stir again.
- Cut the avocado’s in half and remove the stones.
- Place the avocado halves on the plates or the bowls.
- Slice a small amount from the bottom to make them stand.
- Cut the lettuce up and place around the outside of the avocado.
- Spoon the prawns and sauce evenly across the four avocado halves.
- Serve and enjoy.
My mum’s prawn cocktail is a fantastic starter at a dinner party or it can make a brilliant lunch or light evening meal. I had my prawn cocktail with homemade coleslaw and it was delicious. It’s a great dish for a warm summer’s day when it’s too hot to cook. Prawn Cocktail is a no cooking meal which is why my mum liked it so much. It mean’t she didn’t have to cook so that was perfect in her eyes. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, enjoy.
What is your favourite no cook meal? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you xxx