The idea for this recipe I got from YouTube, yes YouTube. A few of the mummies I watch have been making videos about the types of dinners they eat. One of those dinners included a cereal covered chicken, i.e. crispy chicken without the bread crumbs. I wondered if or how I could make my own version with healthier ingredients.
After looking in my kitchen cupboards I found brown rice puffs and I decided to give this crispy chicken meal a try. Brown rice food products are flavourful and nutritious. When the rice is processed as a puff it retains most of its nutrient properties. Rice puffs can provide vitamins and minerals without contributing to excess fat or sodium. They have a nutty flavour and contain dietary fibre. It makes brown rice puffs a good choice of breakfast cereal or a healthier crispy chicken coating.
- Sharp knife
- Vegetable peeler
- Chopping board
- Bowls x 3
- Baking trays x 2
- Chicken x 500g
- Brown rice puffs x 600g
- Chickpea or brown rice flour x 100g
- Eggs x 2
- Salt and pepper
- Sweet potatoes x 2 large
- Homemade baked beans
- Olive oil
- Start by making the homemade beans.
- Preheat the oven to 180° and put the baking trays in.
- Start by peeling the sweet potatoes and cut them into long chips.
- Set the uncooked chips aside.
- Cut the chicken breasts into strips.
- In the three bowls add the egg (scrambled), the flour and the brown rice puffs.
- First put the chicken into flour, then dip it into the egg and then cover it with the brown rice puffs.
- Use the chopping board to set it aside.
- Repeat this process until all the chicken is covered in the ingredients.
- Remove the baking trays from the oven and put the chicken onto one tray.
- Put the chips onto the other tray and drizzle with olive oil.
- Now toss the chips in the oil.
- Place both trays back into the oven and cook for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Once the brown rice puffs on the chicken and the chips have browned remove the trays from the oven.
- Heat the beans up if not already warm on the hob and then serve.
- Eat and enjoy.
Gluten Free Crispy Chicken is delicious and my little family really enjoyed the crispy chicken. My son Ted even decided he would like brown rice puffs for breakfast. So I think we will be eating this dish again. Sadly the brown rice puffs are not freezable. The meal would need to be made on the day it’s going to be cooked. Although it’s a bit more effort than just cooking chicken it’s certainly a great way to eat crispy chicken. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, enjoy.
What’s your favourite way to eat chicken? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. xxx